YouTube has become one of the greatest platforms to promote your brand or business. Everyone loves visual content. Videos attract many eyeballs, that’s why video content marketing is so powerful tool to use.
However, it is not enough to create and upload your video on YouTube. You need to go extra mile and make your YouTube skills perfect.
That’s why I will be talking about linking to a certain time of a YouTube video (commonly used in video descriptions and comment section), or in other words, YouTube Timestamps. This is a great feature to use in order to take your video marketing skills to another level.
I will explain what are YouTube timestamps, where are they mostly used & guide you on how to use them correctly.
Let’s get started!
Where are Timestamps used in YouTube?
Timestamps are used all over the YouTube. Here are the most common situations where timestamps can be helpful:
- When posting a comment on a YouTube video, you can specify the exact time and add timestamp so that people would know what part of the video you are talking about.
- While sharing YouTube video with your friends, you can send video link with particular timestamp so that your friend would start viewing video from the particular moment that attracted your attention.
- When you are writing a description of your freshly uploaded YouTube video, you can create table of contents and link to different segments of your video. For example, if viewer would like to skip the intro and move to the main topic, he can do that just by clicking on particular timestamp.
- If you want to create a transcription of your video, you can add timestamps to specific moments.
Below I will explain in detail how to timestamp in YouTube comments & how to share YouTube video with a link to the specific part of the video.
Don’t miss: What is the Best YouTube Video Length?
How to Timestamp in YouTube comments?
If you want to comment under some video and would like to point out to the particular moment that you are talking about, you can do it easily. Just follow these steps:
- Make sure that you are logged in to YouTube (Google account);
- Go to the video that you would like to comment on and play that video to the point which you would like to comment about and pause it right there;
- Then, in the comments’ box, type your comment and add the exact time of the moment that you stopped the video. The format of timestamp should be the following: (hours:minutes:seconds). For example, if you are talking about the moment on 1 minute and 34 seconds of the video, then just type in “1:34”.
In the end, it should look similar to this: “This part was the most amazing 1:34”. Timestamp will become a clickable link that will bring viewer to that particular moment of the video.
How to link to a specific part of a YouTube video?
If you just saw an interesting YouTube video and would like to share it with your friend, but want your friend to skip the unnecessary part and go straight for the interesting moment, then you can easily link to a particular part of the video. Just follow these steps:
- Go to the YouTube and open up that video;
- Play the video to the point that attracted you and stop the video right there;
- Right click on the video player and from the dropdown menu select “Copy video URL at current time”.
- Paste this link to your friend.
Done! You will notice that these links are customized just by adding “?t=x” to the end of the video URL (x symbolizes the seconds of the video).
Don’t miss: 11 Best YouTube Video Content Ideas
That’s it for this article. I hope that now you will be able to use YouTube timestamps to its full potential and this will improve your YouTube game!
Have you ever used YouTube timestamps before? Comment down below!