It doesn’t matter whether you create your own Facebook group or join the one managed by someone else, using groups lets you create more credibility for your content, position your brand, build strong communities and much more.
Starting and maintaining your Facebook group can seem a little bit frightening, however, it is an effective way to bring more value to your audience.
Therefore, do you want to know more on how to use Facebook groups for your business? Are you interested in understanding how to promote your brand’s products or services in Facebook groups?
Then you are in the right place!
In today’s article, I am going to review everything you need to know about Facebook groups, including explanation what Facebook groups are, the reasons why you should be using them, how to create and maintain groups in order to grow your brand and engage with your audience.
Let’s get started!
What is a Facebook group? How it differs from Facebook Page?
If you are an active Facebook user, in this case, you should be aware what a Facebook group is. However, if not, then let me explain you.
A Facebook group is like a private forum where people come to share a common interest, discuss topics, post relevant content. Essentially, Facebook groups provides you with a great opportunity to improve awareness of yourself or your brand.
Most likely many of you may think: I already have a Facebook page, so why do I need a group? Or should I get a Facebook group instead?
Actually, you need both of them.
You need to have a Facebook page in order to run ad campaigns for your brand, receive reviews and just let your audience to contact with your brand. In other words, Facebook page is like your brand’s profile, which helps to create an authentic presence.
On the other hand, Facebook groups are focused on building loyal online communities. When people upload some content into the group, it stays in the feed letting other users easily notice and engage with it. As Facebook groups allow users to ask questions and share their thoughts, so it means that they offer more value.
Overall, both – Facebook group and Facebook page are important in order to grow your business.
Why should you use Facebook groups?
Various social media studies state that Facebook groups provide higher engagement rather than Facebook pages.
Why this happens?
The answer is simple. Just because Facebook groups allow you to begin conversations more smoothly in a private space compared with Facebook pages.
Here are 3 key advantages that Facebook groups can provide you:
- Sense of community
Facebook groups are considered as a powerful strategy to establish and maintain relationships with your audience and create a strong sense of community around your brand.
Actually, people appreciate when they can find or receive answers to various necessary questions directly from a brand. In this case, Facebook groups are a great way to let an audience connect with your brand in more friendly and informal ambience. As groups allow users to start conversations among themselves and answer to each other’s questions, in this way, community of your brand’s customers is built.
- Extra value for your audience
Believe me or not, but your Facebook group may easily give an additional value for your brand’s audience.
So, don’t doubt in effectiveness of Facebook groups. Use them as a place where you can organize deep conversations regarding particular topic about your brand or test a ground introducing the new ideas.
What is more, by sharing and encouraging to participate in different events related with your brand, you show your audience that you care about them and deliver an extra value for them.
- Sense of exceptionalism
Who doesn’t want to feel special, right?
By using private Facebook groups you can easily allow your audience to feel special. This happens because in order to add members into a group, you need to approve them manually as the admin of the group. It means that only users who are accepted by you can actively interact in your brand’s Facebook group.
A private visible Facebook group differs from private hidden by an opportunity to find it in search results.
Therefore, choose one of these two types and undoubtedly you will provide a sense of exclusivity for the members of your group. As this group is closed, it means that content is available only to those who are a part of your group. In this way, you will evoke curiosity of users and induce them to ask for joining.
How to create & optimize a Facebook group?
Once you know why Facebook groups can be useful for your brand, it’s time to start building it.
A real process of creating a Facebook group takes just a few steps.
The crucial part in this process is making decisions regarding the purpose of your Facebook group and maintaining it.
So, here are the 5 steps on how to get started with Facebook group.
Step 1. Create a group
The first thing that you need to do is to log into you Facebook personal profile using your PC. On the right side of the screen click on the “More” icon, from a drop-down menu select “Groups” and you will be moved to the main groups’ page. In this page choose “Create Croup” and you will see a window where you will be asked to name your group, add people and set a privacy level.
While deciding on your Facebook group’s name, choose a title that is easily recognizable and related with your brand.
Moreover, your next task is to invite users to join your Facebook group. As no one wants to be the first at a party, no one desires to be the first person to join a group. In this case, invite your colleagues, friends or even existing customers of your brand in order to get a ball rolling.
To make your invitation to join a group more official, it is advised to personalize your invitation with a note. Therefore, you will let users know why you are inviting them to your Facebook group and what benefits they receive from participating.
When it comes to privacy settings, you have an opportunity to select from public or private. However, if you set private group’s settings, you can decide to make it visible or hidden.
- Public group. Anyone can see and join a public group without being approved. All public Facebook group’s content is visible to other Facebook users. In this case, this type of group doesn’t provide a sense of privacy and security that comes with a private Facebook group’s type.
However, if you want to induce a lot of discussion and quickly create a community around a particular topic related to your brand, a public Facebook group is considered as the best way to do it.
- Private visible. This group appears in Facebook searches, however, its content is visible only to members of a group. If user wants to join a group, he needs to send a request and a group administrator or an existing member will approve his membership. Therefore, this group gives a sense of privacy and members feel as being involved in an exclusive community.
Furthermore, this group’s type is a great choice if you want to organize workshops or tutorials.
- Private hidden. This group’s type doesn’t show up in Facebook searches. The only way to join this group is to be invited by an existing member.
Actually, private hidden group is considered as an effective way to give high-level trainings and, consequently, build your brand’s authority.
Once you have filled in all necessary sections and have decided on privacy settings, click “Create” and your group will be created.
Step 2. Customize your group
Now your Facebook group has been created, however, it is not fully optimized yet. Your task is to do some customizing in order to make your group look as an appealing place for audience to come and interact with its content.
Here are what you need to do:
- Decide on a group’s type. By setting a specific group’s type you determine your group’s purpose and let Facebook know how to categorize it in a search. You can choose from general, buy and sell, gaming, social learning, jobs and work categories.
In order to change your group’s type you need to click on the “More” icon and from a pop-up menu select “Edit Group Settings”. In the appeared window you will find section “Group type” where you will be able to change it.
- Add a cover image. Select and upload a picture, which displays the purpose of your Facebook group, however, don’t add random images that aren’t related to your brand. Moreover, make sure that you are using a cover photo, which size is 720 x 315 pixels.
- Add a description. Create an attractive and clear explanation of what your Facebook group is about in order to evoke audience’s interest and encourage them to join. Keep in mind that users see your description if a group has a public or private visible privacy setting.
- Add locations. If your Facebook group is related to a particular geographic area or even some areas, then you have an opportunity to specify them in your group.
- Add tags. Inserting various keywords will help your Facebook group to become more discoverable in search.
After you finish customizing, it’s time to upload several engaging posts in order to give your audience something to read and encourage them to interact. What is more, it is advised to make one post about your Facebook group’s rules, then it will be clear for members how they should act while interacting in your group
Step 3. Invite users to join your group
Now, after personalizing your group and uploading several posts, the next step is to invite users to join your Facebook group.
Actually, there are several options how you can encourage people to become your group’s members.
- Send an email to your existing customers;
- Send an invitation on Facebook for your brand followers;
- Share your group’s link on your brand’s Facebook profile;
- Insert a button on your brand’s webpage that will impel an audience to click on it and join a group.
Step 4. Decide on a content type for your group
Before launching your Facebook group, it is advised not to hurry and determine your long-term content strategy, which will support the overall objective of your Facebook group. In other words, you need to ensure that your content type will be related to goal you want to achieve with your group.
For example, if your aim is to increase your brand awareness, you can create and publish more informative and entertaining posts.
Step 5. Induce members to interact
If you want to get successful results from your Facebook group, such as a high engagement level, then your task is to make sure that the content you upload provides value to your group’s members.
Here are ideas for a content that you can easily publish in your Facebook group:
- Daily prompts. They let your group’s members to upload content regarding a particular topic every day. It is advised to organize a promotional day when your group’s audience has an opportunity to share their latest posts from a blog or products they used. These daily prompts are a powerful method to create expectations for group’s members and provide them with a chance to share some content and promote themselves.
- Polls. Lack of fast and effective content ideas? Then, don’t hesitate and create polls to let users provide their thoughts on various questions related to your brand.
- Tutorials. They are considered as a great way to present your brand as a leader in your business area. In this case, once a week create a tutorial video which will help your group’s members to learn something new about your brand or its industry.
- Quizzes. This type of content is not only fun, quizzes also help to collect a necessary information from your audience. Whenever you are thinking about your brand’s future products or services, ask your Facebook group’s members to take a quiz. In this way, you will know what your audience like about your brand and how they see it in the future.
That’s all for this article!
Wrapping everything up, as establishing a community has become a crucial step for any brand, never miss an opportunity to use Facebook groups because they are considered as the most effective method to build trust and authority.
What do you think about Facebook groups? Do you use Facebook groups for your business? Let me know in the comments below!