Facebook is one of the main platforms that helps us to connect with our friends. It is much easier to communicate through Facebook messenger than e-mail, that’s why many of us choose to use it for personal and work communication.
However, what to do if you accidentally deleted some of the important Facebook messages and want to restore them? Luckily, you are in the right place!
In this article I will explain how to recover deleted Facebook messages using your PC or smartphone & how to make a back up of all the most important Facebook messages.
Let’s get started!
Facebook stated that there is no way to retrieve deleted Facebook messages. Once it is deleted from your inbox, it is gone for good. However, even though Facebook stated that it is impossible, there are several ways to recover deleted messages. You just can’t do that directly on Facebook.
I will show you different ways to recover deleted Facebook messages using your desktop PC or laptop and smartphone.
But prior to that, I would like to talk about archive feature. You see, your messages may be removed if you delete or archive them. If you just archived your Facebook messages, you can retrieve them easily by viewing archived conversations folder.
While in the Facebook Messenger app, tap on gear icon of Messenger settings and select “Archived threads”. You will see all of your archived conversations in this folder and you will be able to move them back to your inbox. Easy as that!
However, if you can’t find conversation that you are looking for in Archived threads folder, then most probably you have deleted the conversation and need to recover it. So, keep reading further.
1. Ask chat member to send you a copy
It is important to notice that even if you delete the whole conversation on Facebook messenger, it is only deleted on your side.
It means that the recipient of your messages will still have access to all of those messages and conversations. So, just ask him for a copy!
2. Recover deleted Facebook messages using your Android smartphone
If you are using your smartphone, then follow the steps specified below to recover deleted Facebook messages.
Usually Facebook Messenger keeps files on your phone memory directly. So, your deleted messages may still be there in your smartphone’s memory.
Follow the steps below:
- Download any free third-party app from Google Play store that may find data on your phone. I suggest downloading “ES File Explorer”;
- Once downloaded, go to “SD card” or “Storage” folder;
- After that select “Android” folder, then go to “Data” folder;
- From there, find folder named “com.facebook.orca” and select “Cache” folder;
- Then you should find folder named “fb_temp”, there will be all the automatically saved backup files from your Facebook Messenger app. There you should find your deleted Facebook messages.
Don’t miss: How to Use Facebook Groups for Your Business
3. Recover deleted Facebook messages using your PC
If you are using desktop computer or a laptop, follow these steps to recover deleted Facebook messages.
- Go to Facebook using your internet browser and login to your Facebook account;
- Press on arrow icon in the top right corner. From the drop-down menu select “Settings”;
- From the menu on the left, click on “Your Facebook Information”;
- Find the “Download your information” tab and click on “View”;
- Select “Messages” and any additional information that you would like to download, then click on “Create File”;
- You will get a notification when your download link is ready. I hope that you will find your deleted messages there!
Don’t miss: How to Analyze Facebook Group Insights
I hope that you were able to recover deleted Facebook messages. If you have any questions related to this topic, leave a comment below!