Twitter is a great platform to share your thoughts or market your business. However, sometimes you can get bored from endless self-promotions, spam and other negative people. That’s when you start thinking about permanently deleting your Twitter account.
If you want to know how to permanently delete your Twitter account, what will happen after you submit your Twitter account for deletion (deactivation) and should you even do that, then keep reading further because you came to the right place.
Let’s get started!
How to delete your Twitter account using your computer?
It is important to notice that steps differ depending on which device you use (computer or smartphone). Follow these steps to delete Twitter account using your computer or laptop:
- Sign in to your Twitter profile on Twitter website;
- Select “Settings and Privacy” from the drop-down menu under your Profile icon;
- Go to “Account” tab and select “Deactivate your account”;
- Click on “Deactivate @yourusername”;
- Now you will need to re-enter your Twitter password and confirm that you want to proceed by clicking “Deactivate account”. Done!
Don’t miss: 8 Common Twitter Mistakes & How to Avoid Them
How to delete your Twitter account using smartphone (Android)?
If you are using your Android smartphone, then follow these steps below in order to delete your Twitter account:
- Find Navigation menu icon or your Profile icon, tap on it and select “Settings and privacy” from the drop-down menu;
- Click on “Account”, scroll down and select “Deactivate your account”;
- Click on “Deactivate”;
- You will need to re-enter your Twitter password and click on “Deactivate” once again;
- After that confirm that you really want to deactivate your account by clicking on “Yes, deactivate”. Done!
How to delete your Twitter account using smartphone (iOS)?
If you are using Apple smartphone (iOS), then follow the steps below:
- Tap on your Profile icon at the top menu and select “Settings and privacy”;
- Click on “Account”, then scroll down and select “Deactivate your account”;
- Click on “Deactivate”;
- You will need to re-enter your Twitter password and confirm that you want to deactivate your account by clicking on “Deactivate”;
- Confirm it once again and select “Yes, deactivate”. Done!
What else you should know about Twitter account deactivation & deletion?
It is important to notice that Twitter doesn’t immediately delete your Twitter account right after deactivation. If you are asking yourself what is the difference between deactivation and deletion, here is a simple answer. To delete your Twitter account you must go through deactivation process first. Deactivation process takes 30 days. Only after 30 days your account can be permanently deleted.
Twitter made 30-day period necessary in case you would change your mind and decide to keep your Twitter account running. So, keep in mind that you can restore your Twitter account anytime within 30 days from initial deactivation.
Once deactivated, your Twitter username, display name and profile in general will no longer be viewable on Twitter.
You won’t be able to use your deactivated account’s username or e-mail on your new Twitter account. So, make sure to change it before deactivation (deletion).
If you deactivate your account because you wanted to change your profile username or other information associated with your account, just use settings and change it, there is no need to create a new account.
I hope that after this guide you will know how to deactivate and delete your Twitter account.
Have you ever tried deleting your Twitter account? Leave a comment below!