Have you created your Facebook page long time ago and want to change its name? You may want to rename it because you have switched your business so the old name doesn’t accurately represent your brand anymore. Or you may just be tired of old name and want to bring in something new to your brand.
Whatever the reason, Facebook allows you to do it as long as you follow Page name guidelines.
In this article you are going to learn how to change your Facebook page name and the guidelines for Facebook page names.
Let’s get started!
How to change Facebook page name?
It is important to notice that only page admin can change Facebook page name. So, if you decided to change your Facebook name, make sure that you have privilege to do so and are admin of the page.
Follow the steps below to change your Facebook page name using your computer:
- Go to Facebook and open up your Facebook page;
- Click on “About” at the menu on the left;
- Under the General tab, click on “Edit” next to your page name;
- Type in your new Facebook page name and click “Continue”. Page names are manually reviewed by Facebook’s staff, so make sure that you follow Page name guidelines, other way your name change request will be denied;
- Review your request one more time and click “Request change”.
While changing your Facebook page name, make sure that new name would accurately represent what your page is about. If you try to mislead people by changing your page name to impersonate other business, then your request will be denied. Also, your new page name should match the name of your business.
Why my request to change Facebook page name has been rejected?
You must keep in mind that majority of Facebook page name change requests are being rejected. Facebook doesn’t state that officially, but they mainly allow only minor names changes. For example, you can change the ending of words, change only one of the words, etc.
If you want to change your Facebook page name to completely different name (other niche), then you probably won’t succeed. That’s because people could start selling Facebook pages with big audiences, and the new owner would simply change Facebook page name, rebrand it and use it for his business.
That’s not what your page followers/likers subscribed for. So, Facebook doesn’t allow to use the same page for other business.
However, there is a simple trick to completely change your Facebook page name. If your page name consists of a few words, just change one word at the time. Keep in mind that you will be able to submit a new request only after 7 days.
So, change one of the words, then wait for 7 days, and change other words till you completely change your full Facebook page name. Easy as that!
What if I don’t see an option to edit my Facebook page name?
There may be a few reasons for this.
First of all, if you have over 200 likes on your page, then you must have specific page role (administrator) to be allowed to change page name.
Secondly, if your page name has been recently changed by you or other admin and 7 days has not yet passed, then you won’t see an option to change Facebook page name. Page name can be changed only once in 7 days.
Thirdly, you won’t be able to change name of your regional Facebook page if it falls under global Facebook page.
Lastly, Facebook may apply limits on your Facebook page and do not allow you to change your name if your page name or content is misleading or content published on Facebook violates Facebook’s rules.
Don’t miss: What Is The Best Facebook Posting Frequency?
What are the guidelines for Facebook page names?
No matter that you are just changing your Facebook page name, you still have to follow general guidelines for Facebook page names.
Facebook page names cannot include such things:
- Symbols or any other unnecessary punctuation;
- Words similar to “Official” if the page is not really official page of the brand represented;
- Characters can’t be all capitalized (“THE GREATEST PAGE”). Also, unnecessary capitalization is not allowed (“ThE gReaTesT pAgE”);
- Word “Facebook” cannot be included in page name;
- Brand slogans and descriptions are not allowed (“The Greatest Page – The best page in the social world”). Brand slogans and descriptions should be placed in page description section.
Don’t miss: How to Change Your Name on Facebook?
I hope that now you will know how to change your Facebook page name according to Facebook’s guidelines. If you have any more questions, let me know in the comments below!