Have you ever scrolled through your Instagram posts and saw a post that doesn’t fit your feed anymore, is outdated or just embarrasses you? First thought would be to delete it, but not so fast! There is a better option to handle this situation. You can just archive your Instagram post.
Archived post will be hidden from public but you still be able to access it and restore later if you would change your mind.
Keep reading further and I will explain how to archive a post on Instagram and why you should use this feature instead of simply deleting posts.
Let’s get started!
What is the Instagram archive feature & how does it work?
Instagram archive feature has been released back in 2017 June. This feature became widely used since the initial release. Basically, Instagram archive feature is a better alternative to deleting.
When you archive one of your Instagram posts, it gets hidden from your feed and goes to your “Archived posts” folder. You can access all of your archived posts whenever you want.
Also, you can re-publish your archived post with all the previous comments and likes that post has received. It will be re-published in the same chronological sequence, so the date of publishing will remain the same. That’s the biggest benefit of archiving, because you can change your mind later and re-publish your archived post. You wouldn’t be able to do this if you simply deleted your post.
Don’t miss: 7 Most Common Instagram Mistakes to Avoid
How to archive a post on Instagram?
It is Important to notice that archive feature works on Instagram app (iOS or Android) only, you cannot archive any posts using your desktop computer or laptop. So, grab your smartphone and follow the steps below:
- Open up Instagram App (iOS or Android) on your mobile device and go to your profile;
- Go to the Instagram post you would like to archive;
- Find three-dot icon on the top right corner of your screen;
- From the dropdown menu, select “Archive”.
You have successfully archived your Instagram post! Now your followers and other people won’t be able to see your archived post. It will be moved to the “Archived posts” folder which can be accessed only by you.
Don’t miss: How to Make Your Instagram Profile Private?
Where to find your archived post & how to re-publish it?
If you would like to view your archived post you can easily do so. Even if you have changed your mind & would like to re-publish it, you will be able to do so too.
You can find “Archived posts” folder following these steps below:
- Once again open up Instagram App (iOS or Android) on your mobile device and go to your profile;
- Tap on the Menu icon at the right top corner of your screen;
- From The dropdown menu, select “Archive”;
- Here you will find all of your archived posts and stories.
If you would like to re-publish any of your archived posts, then follow these steps:
- Go to your “Archive” folder;
- Tap on the post that you would like to re-publish;
- Click three-dot icon on the top right corner of your screen;
- From the dropdown menu select “Show on Profile”.
Done! Now your post will be re-published with all the comments and likes that it received earlier.
Don’t miss: How to Get on the Instagram Explore Page: 7 Tips
Why you should be using archive feature & why it is better than deleting?
If you just went through your old posts and noticed that many of them are irrelevant, should you delete or archive them? Deleting them wouldn’t be the best solution because you might change your mind afterwards and need those posts later.
Here are a few pros of using archive feature compared to deleting:
- You can archive posts and re-publish them afterwards, so you can organize them easily. If you delete your Instagram post, then it is deleted for a lifetime. If you want to re-upload a deleted post, you would need to manually upload it as a new post;
- The likes & comments will be saved together with the archived post. If you decide to re-publish it, then likes & comments will be re-published too. If you delete post and decide to upload it again, you will start from zero likes and comments;
- Archived posts are organized is chronological order. If you re-publish archived post, it will be placed in its original place in your feed. If you delete post and upload it again afterwards, then it will be uploaded as a new post with new publishing date;
- Archived post’s performance metrics are still included in Instagram Insights. If you delete a post, then those metrics won’t appear on Instagram Insights.
The best part is that there are no disadvantages to using archive feature instead of deleting. In general, archive feature will do the great job in keeping your feed relevant & up to date, hiding expired giveaway, contest or promotional posts and organizing your feed in general.
Don’t miss: 10 Stunning Instagram Theme Ideas For Faster Growth
I hope that now it will be clear how to archive a post on Instagram and why you should be using it. Have you tried using archive feature on Instagram earlier? Leave a comment below.